#85 Sarah McAnulty on Squids
Sarah McAnulty is a squid biologist and science communicator. She founded Skype A Scientist, matching classrooms with scientists for QnA sessions. Sarah is also a Ph.D. Candidate and Scientist at the University of Connecticut. She studies squids and their symbiosis with bioluminescent bacteria.
On This Episode We Discuss:
- Skype A Scientist
- Effect ways to communicate science
- Differences between squid species, which ones Sarah works with
- Squid research goals
- The symbiosis relationship between the squid and bacteri
- Squid’s blood, microbiome, and immune syste
- Sarah’s inspiration to pursue a squid research career
- Advice/resources for students interested research
Sarah is very active on Twitter and Instagram providing squid fun facts, videos, pictures and really everything cephalopod related. She also has a Tumblr, Youtube page and website for even more information.
Stay tuned for the next new episode of DNA Today on July 20th, 2018. New episodes are released on the first and third Fridays of the month. See what else I am up to on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and iTunes. Questions/inquiries can be sent to info@DNApodcast.com.