#79 Bibaswan Ghoshal on the Human Microbiome
Joining me on this episode is Bibaswan Ghoshal. He is a Senior Bioinformatician at the Lunenfeld Tanenbaum Research Institute of Mount Sinai Health System in Toronto. He has his Master’s of Science in Medicine and finishing his PhD in Bioinformatics, Animal Microbiome and Agriculture from the University of Alberta.
On this episode we discuss…
- The number of microbes in inside us and how they help us
- Factors/technology that impacted the start of this new field
- Differences between studying the human microbiome and genome
- Techniques/technologies used to study the microbiome
- Human Microbiome Project
- Healthy microbiomes
- Factors that affect microbiomes
- Variations between people’s microbiomes
- Microbiome research
- Role of a bioinformatics analyst in microbiome research
Learn more about the microbiome through the University of Utah’s free interactive modules.
You can follow Bibaswan on Twitter @bibaswanghoshal and read his blog at worldofbiba.wordpress.com. Check out the books Bibaswan recommends during the episode: Brain Maker by Dr. David Perlmutter and I Contain Multitudes by Dr. Ed Yong.
Stay tuned for the next new episode of DNA Today on April 20th, 2018 where I will be interviewing Rafi Mendelsohn about a free DNA test for adoptees and biological families to be reunited. It's offered through April through MyHeritage's DNA Quest.